How do I find the right bookshelf for my home in New Zealand?
Whether you're trying to add more practical storage to your home office or on the hunt for new living room furniture. Book shelves are an opportunity for you to be creative and stylish.
It doesn't matter if you're shopping for something classic, modern or somewhere between these two styles - there's a bookcase perfect for every space!
A new bookcase may seem like just another shelf where books go on display but they can actually serve so many different purposes depending upon your needs: A space to hold your favourite book collection, or it could be used for displaying plants, trophies and decorations.
Bookshelves are often made from different materials providing a different set of advantages.
Material such as veneer and plywood is cheaper on the budget. Whereas solid wood furniture often comes with a higher price tag.
In general, solid wood furniture will last much longer than its laminated counterparts.
Keep in mind that our New Zealand weather can greatly affect the state of your furniture. Especially with cheaper furniture, screws and glue may become loose after rain or humidity.
So it's always a good idea to go for solid wood furniture if your budget allows it - Think of it as an investment.
Height & Width
Height and width will play a critical role in determining what your bookcase can accommodate. Make sure you measure the height of the material that you'll be putting on display as well as those items that might overlap with other furniture, such as desks, beds or tables.
Are you looking for adjustable shelves or fixed shelves? What about the depth of the shelves? These are all things to consider when you shop for bookshelves.
When it comes to adjustable shelves, it's a given that they will give you more flexibility for storage. Fixed shelves may be limited as to the items that can be stored on the shelf - so be sure to measure the dimensions of the objects you'll need to store and the shelves before you make your purchase.
Pairing bookshelves with your home decor
Do you have a large collection of books? Perhaps you're looking for more storage solutions in your bedroom or home office.
Regardless, there are always ways to improve the style of your home decor by adding bookcases into the mix.
When it comes to pairing them with your interior décor, there are several things to keep in mind:
1. Make sure the size of the bookshelves are perfect for the room - one that's too big may take away from some of your enjoyment of the space around it while a frame that's too small may not give you enough display space.
2. If you're pairing it with other furniture, make sure that both items complement each other's style. For example, if you're shopping for contemporary coffee tables, make sure it fits well with the bookshelves that are already in your room.
3. Don't be afraid to add some colour - this is where customisation comes into play! You can purchase additional accessories such as paintings or lampshades to help match the bookcases to your other décor. Or you could even spray paint them a different colour!
4. The location will also play a role in how it complements the rest of your home - If you're placing your sleek new bookcase near the windows, consider switching out the curtains to match the style.
5. Lastly, don't forget to consider the furniture's practicality. The bookshelves you choose should ideally have a purpose in the room. Do some research and see if your stylish new bookcase can hold appliances such as televisions or music players for entertainment purposes.
Bookshelves for children's rooms
Bookshelves aren't just for adults & teens. They're a perfect storage solution for children's rooms as well!
It can be a safe place to store and organise all their favourite books, toys and even curios from their birthday parties. It'll become an instant focal point for your kids as it's a space they can proudly show off to their friends too.
In order to make the best use of the available storage, you may want to look into purchasing timber bookshelves with a drawer or two, along with adjustable shelves - this way, you'll have the flexibility to adjust the shelves based on your kids' growing collections.
Display cabinet-type bookcases are also a great way to display collectibles or even mini figurines for children of all ages.
Whether it's displayed in their bedroom or playroom, they are sure to enjoy looking at these displays when they're back home.
Height is also another important consideration, especially if you're placing bookcases in their bedroom.
Bookcases that are too tall might be a safety hazard for young children to reach - while those that are too short may not give them enough space to store all their books.
So when you shop for bookcases, make sure to choose appropriate sizes that will fit. - it's a lot safer this way too since children tend to want to do stuff on their own, without asking for help!
Now that you know what to look for, it's time to shop our selection of bookshelves NZ!
We've got classic style or modern contemporary with great colours to choose from.
Make your order today and we'll send it to you with super fast delivery around New Zealand!